GACL Member Organizations

 

Click on an organization name to view information about that organization.
Click again to close the information.

Bayerischer Unterstützungs-Verein | Bavarian Beneficial Society

The Bavarian Beneficial Society was founded on October 1, 1875. The purpose of the Society is to assist its members at times of illness or death. The Society also works to preserve German language and customs.

In 1876, the Society dedicated its flag by means of a special parade and fest. By 1878, the Bavarian Beneficial Society had 253 members. The Society originally met in the Arbeiter-Halle, or Workers Hall, before the First World War. Following the war, the meeting place moved to an establishment called Christian Sach's Hall, located at 121 Elder Street. Currently, the Society meets at the Donauschwaben Haus in Colerain Township.

In 1975, the Bavarian Beneficial Society celebrated its centennial at German Day, the annual fest that has been sponsored by the German-American Citizens League since 1895.

Bloatarian Brewing League

An amateur brewing club that encourages the preservation of
traditional German beer styles.

Bloatarian Brewing League logoThe Bloatarian Brewing League was founded in 1986 by Ray Spangler of Erlanger, Kentucky. Today, it is the oldest and largest organization of homebrewers in the Cincinnati Tri-State area. With almost 200 active members and an equal number of occasional participants, the Bloatarians have provided brewing demonstrations, educational presentations, and volunteer assistance to a wide variety of commercial, civic and charitable events since 1986.

The main purpose of the club is to assist its members in improving the quality of their beers. Another goal is to educate the public in the responsible enjoyment of traditional, high quality beer styles. To this end, many members of the BBL have done a great deal of research on forgotten beer styles and brewing techniques, helping to preserve an important part of our heritage.

The general public is not yet aware of the vast range of German beers. The range includes pale lagers like the German Pilsner and Dortmunder styles, through the darker Munich Dunkel, Oktoberfest, and Schwarzbier. German ales like Kölsch and Altbier are so rare in the United States that there are only a handful of examples available. German wheat beers include the famous Bavarian Hefe-weizen and the distinctive Berliner Weisse. German specialty beers such as Bamberg Rauchbier and Steinbier are still difficult to find.

The members of the Bloatarian Brewing League will help anyone interested in homebrewing, and anyone who simply wants to develop a deeper appreciation of these delightful products of the German Brewer's art. The club's ranks include many registered beer judges, all the way up through the rank of Master Beer Judge. Brewing competitions are held several times a year, and are open to anyone.

Visit the BBL Web Site

Boone County Germanna Study Group

Germanna Study GroupThe mission of the Boone County Germanna Study Group is o collect and preserve the history of the Hopeful Lutheran Church and the family histories of the German Lutherans who traveled from Madison County, Virginia, to Boone County Kentucky, including their descendants who remained here in Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties.

 

Visit the Germanna website

Bundeslaender Verein

DEUTSCHLAND/F/GERMANY: After 1945, Germany was divided into four (4) zones. The 3 Western Zones formed the Bundesrepublik Deutschland/ Federal Republic of Germany in 1949.

Then the individual states were created as units of the Federal State:

LAENDER: There are 16 Bundeslaender, Baden-Wuerttenberg, Bayern, Brandenburg

STATES: Bremen, Hamburg, Hessen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Niedersachsen, Nordrhein Westfalen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Schleswig-Holstein, Thueringen
This includes 3 Freistaaten (Free states)
Bayern, Sachsen, Thueringen
3 Stadtstaaten (City States)
Bremen, Hamburg and Berlin

Each Bundesland has its own flag with shield.

DER VEREIN: The Society aims to share and preserve regional aspects of language, folk wear and culture. It represents the Bundeslaender by participating in parades and German events, presenting all 16 flags.

MOTTO: "UNSER STOLZ IST UNSERE FAHNE"

PHRASE: "OUR PRIDE IS OUR FLAG"

FOUNDED: 2012.

Contact: Anita Rampello | Email: mzblondnblue@fuse.net

Catholic Kolping Sängerchor

We are a group of singers dedicated to the preservation of German song. We are a self-sustaining local German folk choir that is a subgroup of the much larger Catholic Kolping Society of Cincinnati. The Sängerchor has around 75 active members. The Kolping Society of Cincinnati is part of an even larger national and international organization headquartered in Cologne, Germany founded by Blessed Adolf Kolping in the 1860's.

The Sängerchor is a member of the Nord-Amerikanische Sängerbund (North-American Singers Association or NASB), a national organization of over 40 German choirs that was founded in Cincinnati in 1849. We are also members of the Southern-Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana District of the NASB and the Deutsche-Sängerbund of Germany.

Visit the Kolping Sängerchor web site

Catholic Kolping Society

Blessed Father Adolph Kolping founded the Kolping Society in 1849 in Elberfeld, Germany as a journeyman's society or Gesellenverein. At that time, journeymen from all trades were expected to work with master craftsmen in different towns in order to get a variety of experiences before settling in one place. Their quarters were almost always substandard. Father Kolping established houses, somewhat on the order of the YMCA facilities, that provided affordable accommodations in a Christian atmosphere. His motto was, and is today: "Good families make a good nation." The Kolping Society has always supported mankind by fostering the spirituality of the individual, integrity of the family, devotion to one's vocation and loyalty to one's country.

In 1924, the seeds to the present Cincinnati Kolping Center and its sports complex were planted by the thirteen members who founded the original Cincinnati Kolping branch on Republic Street in the Over-the-Rhine area. In the 1950's, the Kolping facility on Winton Road was developed. The Cincinnati Kolping Society has grown to over 1000 members and is now one of the largest Kolping families in the world.

The search for a larger facility led to the purchase of fifty-seven acres from St. Francis Seminary in 1980. The Cincinnati Kolping Society now owns fifty-two acres, a third of which is wooded, at 10235 Mill Road in Cincinnati, Ohio. This facility, known as Kolping Park, houses four soccer fields, three lighted baseball/softball diamonds, volleyball courts, a maintenance and recreation building and a children's play area. The Society has a large clubhouse/hall facility called the Kolping Center. Behind the Kolping Center is an outdoor pavilion and beer garden adjoining the woods.

The Kolping Society consists of many subgroups, including the Kolping Sports Club, Schützen Club, Pigeon Club, Teen Club, Young Adults, Senior Citizens, Tuesday Workers, Kolping Sängerchor, King's Court, Golf Club and Kolping Band. Various activities are sponsored throughout the year by these groups, affording wholesome recreation, athletic events, educational, cultural, musical and social opportunities for members as well as the general community.

Contact: Tom Musbach - 742-5895
Visit the Kolping Cincinnati web site
Visit the Kolping USA web site or the Kolping International web site.

Cincideutsch

CinciDeutschCincideutsch is a group of German-speakers in Greater Cincinnati. We hold Stammtisch weekly for casual conversation and are proud to bring events such as Christkindlmarkt to our community, bridging historically German Cincinnati with the rich German culture of today.

Visit the Cincideutsch website

Cincinnati Carvers Guild

Cincinnati Carvers Guild logoJohn Wilbur, a youth program director, and Charlie Ehlers, a pharmacist, founded the Cincinnati Carvers Guild in 1965. The first meeting and election of officers occurred on May 22, 1968. Meetings were held at the Fairview Community Center. John Wilbur served at the group's first president.

The membership roster consists of approximately 150 men and women. Meetings generally attract about seventy-five people. Following a short business session, members have an opportunity to share their latest projects and expertise. In addition to this sharing of ideas, there is usually a program pertaining to some facet of woodcarving. These programs include talks, demonstrations and group instruction with hands on carving. The Guild meets at the Trinity Lutheran Church on Kinney and Hickman Avenues in Mt. Healthy, Ohio each month except November and December.

The Carvers held their first carving show at the Goodwill Dutch Festival in October 1971. Today, an annual woodcarving show is sponsored by the Cincinnati Woodcarvers Guild. The show, held each November, has been presented at various locations over the years. For the past few years, the show has been held on the first weekend in November at the Kings Island Inn. This event is attended by thousands of visitors from across the country, who come to see the works of over one hundred exhibitors. Also in attendance are a number of vendors who make available a variety of wood, tools, books and related woodcarving supplies. The Cincinnati Carvers Guild celebrated their thirtieth anniversary at the show in November 1996.

All of the Guild's shows are open to the public. Everyone is welcome to attend as a spectator or to learn a little more about woodcarving. The Cincinnati Carvers Guild welcomes new members to join this group of creative people. Their brochure states the following: A woodcarver is one who can take a piece of wood, breath life into it with patient hands, and make it a warm object of lasting beauty.

The German-American Citizens League of Greater Cincinnati wishes to thank Guild member, Bob Lohbeck, for creating and donating the German Heritage Museum sign which hangs next to the front door of this museum.

Visit the Cincinnati Carvers Guild website

Cincinnati Central Turners

Turners logoThe Cincinnati Central Turners, the first Turnverein in the United States, was founded in 1848. The Turner philosophy of a sound body and a sound mind was practiced at the corner of 13th and Vine in the open air, and shortly after in a small building on Walnut Street, where the Turner Hall was later built. By 1850, the Turner School had 380 boys and 90 girls enrolled in gymnastics classes. This same year saw the Society become incorporated as the German Turner Society of Cincinnati. The following year, they joined the newly founded North American Turner Association (Turnerbund).

In 1851, construction was completed on a building on Walnut Street. By 1859, the building was too small and the well-known Turner Hall was built. In 1852, the national Turner Fest was held in Cincinnati. A year later, a Schützen Company was formed, as well as a band. In 1854, the town of New Ulm, Minnesota was founded by the Cincinnati Turner Settlement Society, led by Wilhelm Pfänder, with the goal of establishing a German-American town on the frontier. During the Civil War, the Turners comprised the entire 9th Ohio Voluntary Infantry Regiment.

In the 19th century, the Turners played an important role in Cincinnati by introducing physical education into the public schools (1892), as well as supporting the instruction of the German language in schools. Before World War I, Turner Hall was the home of the German Theater, and was the central meeting place for the German-American societies of Cincinnati. The Turners also supported a German library and were known for the many cultural programs they sponsored.

In the 1950s, the Turners moved out of the Turner Hall on Walnut St. to their current location on Pinney Lane in Springfield Township. The old Turner Hall was torn down in 1972.

In 1998, the Cincinnati Central Turners celebrated their 150th anniversary. The Turners are the oldest German-American society in Cincinnati and the oldest Turner Society in America.

Contact: Marlene Lintz - 825-7629
Visit the Cincinnati Central Turners website

The Coleraine Historical Society

The Coleriane Historical Society was founded in 1964 to preserve the rich history, historical sites and artifacts of the largest township in the State of Ohio, which is Colerain Township.

Colerain Township History begins in 1790 with the settlement and establishement of Ft. Coleraine. The early settlement battle success against the savage indians of that time was of great importance to the establshment and growth of the Northwest Territory.Shortly thereafter it had an influx of Revolutionary War veterans of German heritage. Since then Colerian Township has been and important part of American history and the growth of Cincinnati.

Meetings are held Monthly on the 3rd Wednesday, and the 1st Wednesday of December. Anyone is welcome to come to a meeting check out who we are and what we do, enjoy or guest speakers and presentations, and learn about Colerian's history.

Dayton Liederkranz-Turner

lyreThe purpose of the Dayton Liederkranz-Turner is the cultivation, furtherance and maintenance of German song, dance, customs, culture and language, the promotion of good fellowship among its members, and participation in civic affairs.

Musical Heritage

The area's oldest German-American club is the Dayton Liederkranz-Turner. It was granted a charter as a singing club in 1890, and for over a hundred years has continued to keep alive the finest in traditional German customs and culture.

Singing Groups and Folk Dancers

Many enjoyable social activities and celebrations are held at the club, among them are the concerts presented in the Spring, Fall and at Christmas by the Men's Chorus, Women's Chorus and Youth Chorus. Singers also participate in District and National Saengerfests. All concerts are free and open to the public. Since 1981, members of the Dayton Liederkranz Volkstaenzer have brought dancing entertainment to many area public celebrations. They enjoy entertaining with their authentic folk dances from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. They are members of the German-Austrian Folk Dance Association.

For more information call 937-293-3099.
Visit the Dayton Liederkranz-Turner website

Der Deutsche Buben Verein

Deutsche Buben Verein logoDer Deutsche Buben Verein was founded on October 3, 1998 in Cincinnati, Ohio. As of December 2016, there were 126 members in the United States, Germany and the Czech Republic. We are an organization of people who enjoy life!

For twelve years, the Buben Verein hosted the Buben "Fore-Man" Scramble, a golf outing that raised funds for any worthwhile charity that came to our attention in the previous year. The Buben Winter Picnic, held each year in either February or March, is also a way for our members and invited guests to contribute to a worthwhile charitable endeavor. The fifteenth Buben Winter Picnic will take place on March 4, 2017.

The Buben Ball will be held again for the third time on June 10, 2017. This event raises funds for the Father David Hiller Fund, a charitable arm of the Catholic Kolping Society of Cincinnati.

Aside from these and other charitable gestures, the Buben Verein finds many ways to celebrate seemingly insignificant events. Any excuse for a party or social gathering is high on our list of priorities. Being surrounded by friends makes life better. All of our members have an excellent track record of volunteering their time and talents to local German clubs and other civic organizations. Most have held, or currently hold, offices in these clubs and organizations. Buben Verein membership invitations are extended to people who have demonstrated a willingness to work for the betterment of the German-American community and have a zest for life.

The Buben Verein has no officers and no constitution. We are guided by the Ten Commandments of the Buben Verein, which direct all members to simply be a friend and to make a difference in the world. E Pluribus Buben

Vist our new and exciting Website:   www.Bubenverein.com
Contact: Mike Pelzel - 385-3120

Enzian Tanz Gruppe

Contact: Erwin Dobler (812) 637-8351
Email: hotm3@netscape.com

Fairview-Clifton German School

Fairview School, built in 1888 in the Romanesque Revival style, originally served 750 Cincinnati neighborhood students. The curriculum included Household Arts, Industrial Arts, Kindergarten, and until 1917, German.

By the turn of the century, the school was becoming overcrowded. A temporary structure, called the "colony" was constructed and used until 1958. Less than twenty years after the first temporary structure, another temporary building was added. By the 1950s, the building was so crowded that the lower grades were taught in local churches.

Crowding was finally relieved in 1958 with the dedication of the Fairview School Annex, now referred to as the "new building." At the time, this new structure was only a part of a planned new building, with the "old building" scheduled to be demolished. Due to declining numbers of children attending Fairview in the 1960s, this plan was never implemented.

In the early 1970s, the Cincinnati Board of Education developed magnet schools to promote desegregation and to offer area parents more choices regarding the education for their children. The magnet schools, in addition to the standard curriculum, focused on a special interest, skill, or type of teaching, and accepted applications from all over the city of Cincinnati.

Fairview-Clifton German School is Cincinnati's second oldest magnet school. It began with the addition of two first and second grade classrooms at neighborhood schools at Fairview School and Schiel School in 1974. Since World War I, this was the first public school program in the U.S. to offer intensive instruction in German to primary students.

The brand new school is located at 3689 Clifton Ave, in Clifton, and is part of the Cincinnati Public School System.

Noted for its excellence in German instruction, Fairview-Clifton German School participates in the annual German-American Heritage Month, with a special German-American Day program, involving several hundred of the children from the school.

The school also sponsors an annual Fasching and creates its own t-shirts and sweatshirts containing the school's logo.

Contact: Donald Hamilton - (859) 291-4417
Visit the Fairview-Clifton German School website

Friends of the German Heritage Museum

German Heritage Museum logoThe Friends of the German Heritage Museum (FGHM) was formed to support the German Heritage Museum, and was established by the German-American Citizens League (GACL).          

The FGHM is affiliated with the GACL, which serves as the umbrella organization for the German-American societies of the region and also maintains the Museum.

Click here to learn more

German-American Club Gesangverein Louisville, KY

GACG logoHISTORY: The Germanic Heritage Auxiliary was founded in April, 1991, as the Kentuckiana Germanic Heritage Society.  KGHS merged with the German-American Club Gesangverein to become the Germanic Heritage Auxiliary on January 1, 2002.

MISSION: The mission of the Germanic Heritage Auxiliary is to preserve, study and promote the Germanic heritage of Kentucky and southern Indiana.  The GHA supports and assists other organizations whose members are interested in preserving our common heritage.  The GHA is a constituent Society of the Society for German-American Studies (SGAS) and, as a part of the German-American Club Gesangverein, is an Associate of the German-American National Congress (DANK).

MEMBERSHIP: All dues-paying members of the German-American Club Gesangverein are members of the GHA.  All members of the German-American Club and guests are welcome to attend GHA functions and to participate in planning and organizing GHA activities.

MEETINGS: GHA meetings are varied in content and have featured speakers, presentations, trips and many types of events and community activities.  All GHA activities are announced in the bi-monthly newsletters of the German-American Club Gesangverein.

Contact:   Vicky Ullrich, President      Telephone: 502-459-6820
Visit the website

German Genealogy Group

Hamilton County Genealogical Society logoThe Hamilton County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society had its roots in Wyoming, Ohio in August of 1972, when a few genealogists gathered at a home and determined there was enough interest to form a chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society. The group was chartered 5 May 1973. Several projects were undertaken, such as locating cemeteries, reprinting and indexing the History of Hamilton County, and indexing and abstracting wills from 1791 to 1850.

The Chapter has grown from twelve members to over 1250 members in 1999 and celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 1998. The Society has published thirty-one books, including four volumes of marriage records, 1808 to 1884, eleven volumes of cemetery records, eight volumes of death and other notices from Cincinnati newspapers, a Guide to Genealogical Resources in Cincinnati & Hamilton County, OH and more. The Society publishes quarterly 4-page newsletters and quarterly 32-page periodicals each year.

The German Genealogy Group is an interest group of the Hamilton County Genealogical Society that often sponsors German genealogical lectures and other programs. Its members have contributed valuable publications, including indexes of German newspaper death & marriage notices and German cemetery tombstone inscriptions. The Family History Center in Norwood, Ohio has developed a sizeable German genealogical microfilm collection of German church and other records from materials that have been filmed by the Mormon Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. This enables researchers to do a good portion of their research on their German family lines right here in Cincinnati.

The Society has significantly contributed to the German genealogical holdings of the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County in downtown Cincinnati. It is the fifth largest genealogical collection in America. The members of the Society are always willing to assist anyone getting started on a search of their family history. At least eight beginner genealogy classes are held each year at no cost to members or non-members. Those leading the German Genealogy Group or serving as German-American Citizens League representatives from the group have been: Bob Rudig, Shirley Kaiser, Steve Hutzel, J. Richard Abell, Bob Rau, Jeff Herbert, Dan Knecht and Kenny Burck.

Contact: Kenny Burck - 513-851-9549      E-mail:kburck@juno.com
Visit the HCGS website

Germanic Heritage Auxiliary of Louisville, KY

GACG logoHISTORY: The Germanic Heritage Auxiliary was founded in April, 1991, as the Kentuckiana Germanic Heritage Society. KGHS merged with the German-American Club Gesangverein to become the Germanic Heritage Auxiliary on January 1, 2002.

MISSION: The mission of the Germanic Heritage Auxiliary is to preserve, study and promote the Germanic heritage of Kentucky and southern Indiana. The GHA supports and assists other organizations whose members are interested in preserving our common heritage. The GHA is a constituent Society of the Society for German-American Studies (SGAS) and, as a part of the German-American Club Gesangverein, is an Associate of the German-American National Congress (DANK).

MEMBERSHIP: All dues-paying members of the German-American Club Gesangverein are members of the GHA. All members of the German-American Club and guests are welcome to attend GHA functions and to participate in planning and organizing GHA activities.

MEETINGS: GHA meetings are varied in content and have featured speakers, presentations, trips and many types of events and community activities. All GHA activities are announced in the bi-monthly newsletters of the German-American Club Gesangverein.

Visit the website

Germania Society

GermaniaThe Germania Society was founded in 1964 as a society of German heritage. The purpose of the Germania Society is to perpetuate the German culture and to establish true traditional events of German folklore.

The idea for the Society was conceived in 1960 by a few forward thinking immigrants who resolved that a new society was needed in Cincinnati, one which would include people from all Germanic areas, but refraining from politics and religion. The name Germania was chosen in 1963, and by the end of that year, meetings were held to ratify a constitution. The Germania Society was incorporated on May 16, 1964.

The Germania Society contributed to the already rich list of German-American events in Cincinnati. A radio program called Over-the-Rhine Showcase was started in 1963 by founding board member Hermann Albers, and was followed by Over-the-Rhine Day at LeSourdsville Lake in 1964. Oktoberfest dances were the forerunners of Cincinnati's Original Oktoberfest, begun by Germania in 1971. Charter flights to Germany were organized, and entertainers like Herbert Hiesel and Willie Millowitsch were brought to Cincinnati from Germany. Original involvement in Maifest and the International Folk Festival is credited to President Fred Mause and Helmut Maurer.

Under the direction of Germania founding board member, Dr. Wilhelm Kraeling, a German school program was introduced, now called the Tri-State German-American School. The Cincinnati Kurier was newly published by Marie Lammers Engel, and Germania's first article appeared on December 18, 1964, written by founding board member, Ernst Schwab, who wrote many more articles in an effort to promote Germania, as well as to establish a Rhineland style Karneval organization within the Society. In 1967, President Fritz Prochnow and his wife, LaNelle, became the first princely couple. The Elferrat (council of eleven jesters) has chosen a prince every year since 1968. In 1977, the Germania Society completed their Klubhaus, located on West Kemper Road in Springfield Township. The outdoor pavilion was built in 1985 and is the site of Cincinnati's Original Oktoberfest, held each year in August.

The Germania Society has given the people of Cincinnati many years of enjoyment through its many cultural events. All people of German birth, Germanic people, and those of German ancestry are eligible for membership.

Contact: Walt Pegram 513-677-5266
Visit the website

Green Township Historical Association

The Green Township Historical Association was founded in 1978 for thepurpose of preserving and disseminating the history of Green Township. Meetings are held on the Third Tuesday of every second month. The meeting place is the Nathanial Greene Lodge, 6394 Wesselman Road.

Contact: Paul Ruffing 513-574-9909

Händlemaier's Freunde Cincinnati e.V.

A club whose members are loyal to and enjoy eating the finest mustard available.

Händlmaier's Freunde Cincinnati e.V. is the second Händlmaier's Freunde club in the world. The original was founded in early 2004 by Gunnar Giftthaler in Landshut, Bavaria. The club has a single purpose: we want to share a mustard with all of those on our Home Planet: The Luise Händlmaier-Mustard. It all began at the Rosenhof restaurant in Landshut, at the 80th birthday celebration of Hedi, one of Mr. Giftthaler's relatives. All present agreed that Händlmaier's is the finest mustard available, and that it can be found in everyone's kitchen cabinet. At this point, enough of the ingredients necessary for the foundation of a fan club were present. At the Stube, the local party hut, the idea for a mustard fan club was shared with others, and interest gradually increased until an actual fan club could be founded. But official status came later through the efforts of Rudi Lichtmannecker, who raised even more interest and organized all of the paperwork for the formation of the club. After the writing of a constitution of ground rules and a visit by a notary, a notice about the fan club was placed in a newspaper. At this point, the fan club became an e.V. (an official German non-profit organization)

Händlmaier's Freunde Cincinnati e.V. was founded by Scott Scholz, who had become a member of the original group while living in Bavaria. Mr. Scholz enjoyed the club events enough to try to bring the club across the Atlantic to Cincinnati, his hometown. On October 28, 2006, the Cincinnati chapter met for the first time at the Steuben Halle in Clifton. The members enjoyed a traditional Weißwurstessen, followed by attending the University of Cincinnati's victory over Syracuse University in the homecoming football game.

While still in its infancy, Händlmaier's Freunde Cincinnati has garnered a lot of interest from people in the Tri-State area, as well as some from Dayton and Columbus. The group meets on the second Saturday of every month, for a traditional Weisswurst Breakfast buffet at Mecklenburg Gardens Restaurant. For more information and to keep apprised of current events, please visit the club's website at www.mustardclub.org or join the mailing list by sending an email to mailinglist@mustardclub.org

Contact: 513.399.7260
Email: MustardClubCincy@gmail.com

Indiana German Heritage Society

IGHS logoOn March 16, 1984, the Indiana German Heritage Society, Inc. was founded as a statewide historical and educational membership organization. Headed by a volunteer board of directors, it is a non-profit organization and qualifies for tax-deductible donations.

The Society has its seat in Indianapolis in a famous historic landmark, Das Deutsche Haus-Athenaeum, built 1893-1898. Offices and meeting rooms are shared with the Max Kade German-American Center of Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. The Rathskeller Restaurant, located in the lower level, is the oldest continuously operating restaurant in Indiana and offers fine German and German-American food.

The Society promotes interest in the German-American heritage of the state and the nation, and fosters friendly relations with German-speaking countries in the following ways:

* Encourage and support research, preservation and celebration of this heritage
* Sponsor monthly meetings and German-language Stammtisch programs
* Publish a monthly newsletter
* Hold an annual meeting in March at the Deutsche-Haus-Athenaeum
* Observe German-American Day, October 6, and promote its observance Statewide
* Cooperate with the Athenaeum Foundation, the Indiana Historical Society, The Society for German-American Studies, The Indiana Religious History Association, The Palatines to America, and other historical, educational and German-American organizations, and with social organizations such as the Federation of German Societies of Indianapolis and the American Turners

The Society is non-political. It looks at German not in terms of present political boundaries, but in terms of ethnic traditions of culture and language.

Indiana's German heritage thus includes contributions from: Austria, the Federal Republic of Germany, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, German-speaking Switzerland, Alsace-Lorraine, Southern Tyrol and other German-speaking countries and regions of Europe.

We cherish the cultural diversity of the Hoosier State and are proud of the German-American contributions to its way of life.

Contact: Dr. Ernestine Dillion | 401 E. Michigan St. | Indianapolis IN 46203
Phone: 317-464-9004
Visit the IGHS website

Liberty Home Association Deutscher Hausverein

Liberty Home AssociationThe Liberty Home Association can possibly trace its origins to an organization known as the Allgemeiner Deutscher Unterstützungs Verein, or the Universal German Assistance Club. A newspaper article, appearing on June 9, 1903, stated that the ADUV's "seventy years old picnic will take place at Ohlinger's on July 4, 1903." This would indicate that the ADUV could have been an active organization as early as 1837. In 1903, the German Federation of Hamilton was formed, consisting of seven German-American organizations, representing more than 900 members. The minutes of the first meeting indicate representation from the ADUV. The purpose of the Federation was to unite all Germans and to protect their interests in their adopted country.

As World War I loomed, the German Federation of Hamilton began to lose members. Many of those who had claimed alliance with the German Federation slowly transferred their interests to the Deutscher Hausverein or Liberty Home Association.

As America entered World War I, it became unpopular to claim membership in any organization that retained Germanic customs and lifestyles. On May 5, 1918, it was decided to change the name of the organization to the Liberty Home Association. On July 10, 1919, incorporation papers were drawn and Liberty Home became the legal name of the association, which it retains to this date.

The period between the wars witnessed the Liberty Home Association participating in numerous public, patriotic, community and fraternal activities. The severe immigration policies in place between 1918 and 1945 had an effect on membership. Not until the late 1940s and early 1950s did the German-speaking membership begin to increase.

The Liberty Home Association still retains many of its German related, folksy events, where both young and old members can enjoy their culture.

The Liberty Home Association has given much to Hamilton County and Butler County and still strives to retain, use and preserve German - the real binding force of its existence.

Visit the LHA website

Maysville Oktoberfest
Munich Sister City Association

MunichThe Munich Sister City Association of Greater Cincinnati is a group of volunteers whose goal is to promote business, cultural, educational, legal, and sports exchanges between the cities of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, and Munich, Germany. The Munich Sister City Association of Greater Cincinnati is a founding member of the official Sister Cities Association of Greater Cincinnati, a member of Sister Cities International, Inc.

The first effort to establish a Sister City relationship between Munich and Cincinnati was made in 1951. In that year Cincinnati City Council passed a resolution to form a committee of citizens known as the Cincinnati City Affiliation Committee. The purpose of the committee was to create a connection with one or several Western European cities. Based on our historical ties the committee informed City Council that it had selected Munich. The Cincinnati Mayor, Albert D. Cash, wrote to the Lord Mayor of Munich, Mr. Wimmer, informing him of this selection and asking if Munich would be in agreement. He also suggested that a similar committee be formed in Munich. Lord Mayor Wimmer subsequently informed Mayor Cash that Munich agreed to the affiliation with Cincinnati and that they also had formed a committee. In spite of many smaller individual activities, this effort was not successful and no significant results were achieved.

The unofficial Sister City partnership with Munich was revived in 1984 when a Cincinnati-Munich Sister City Committee was formed. The driving force behind the 1984 revival of interest was Auguste Kent, who was born in Munich and visited her native city every year.

In April 1985 a delegation of the Cincinnati-Munich Sister City Committee went to Munich and met at the Munich City Hall with Lord Mayor Georg Kronawitter and two of Munich's City Council members. They discussed with the Munich officials the eventual formation of a formal Sister City partnership, which was to serve as a basis for increased business, educational and cultural exchanges between the two cities.

In July 1989 the official Sister City relationship was established. Lord Mayor of Munich, Georg Kronawitter, came to Cincinnati. Accompanying him were six key members of the Munich City Government including the three heads of the leading political parties. They were officially received by Mayor Charles Luken at City Hall.

In September 1989 a delegation from the City of Cincinnati, consisting of Mayor Luken and members of the Cincinnati-Munich Sister City Committee, visited Munich for the official Sister City signing ceremony in the Old Rathaus. They were guests of the Lord Mayor of Munich, Georg Kronawitter, and the City of Munich for their Oktoberfest. The official signing of the Munich-Cincinnati Sister City document was on September 18, 1989. Afterwards Mayor Charles Luken and Auguste Kent entered their names in the "Golden Book" of Munich, taking their place alongside Kings, Queens, and Popes.

In June of 1990 an 18 member delegation from Munich visited Cincinnati to sign the Munich-Cincinnati Sister City document. Mayor Charles Luken and Lord Mayor Georg Kronawitter signed the documents on June 6 in the City Hall Council Chamber.

The first Chair Person of the Munich Sister City Committee was Auguste Kent. In December 1992 the Cincinnati-Munich Sister City Committee decided that they should become a separate entity, while still remaining under the Sister City Association umbrella, but having their own constitution and bylaws. The Munich Sister City Association of Greater Cincinnati was formed. The first President was Wilhelm Gottenbusch followed by Ute Päpke, Max Keck, and Ingrid Thomas. In April 2005, A.M. Kinney III was elected President.

Contact:
A.M. KinneyIII
2980 Saddlebrook Dr.
Cincinnati,OH 45244
Phone 513-421-2265 Ext. 300
Email: kinney2980@aol.com
Visit the website

New Knoxville Historical Society

NKHS logoThe New Knoxville Historical Society was formed to "preserve items, sites and information of historic value pertinent to the Village of New Knoxville and Washington Township."

The objective of the society is to discover, collect, preserve, restore and acquire, by purchase or gift, any historical objects, records, articles or other memorabilia relating to New Knoxville and the Auglaize County area.  It will publish books and other printed materials and maintain accurate records of all memorable events and historical celebrations relating to the progress and history of New Knoxville.

Visit the NKHS website

Old St. Mary's Historic Preservation Association

Germans have always been part of Cincinnati's history. In the first half of the 19th century, the surge of mid-European immigration resulted in a huge growth of German settlers. The vast majority chose the northeast quadrant of the city, above the Miami and Erie Canal, to seek new roots. Today, we know it as Central Parkway. Ninety thousand people lived in this area, dubbed "Over the Rhine", because of the influx of so many German-speaking citizens. Streets were named in German. German language was taught in schools and laws made in Cincinnati were bilingual.

By 1840, the growth of the Catholic newcomers necessitated the establishment of a new church. Father Joseph Hennie was given the task of creating St. Marien Kirche (St. Mary's Church). The block between 12th & 13th, Clay & Main Streets was purchased from the estate of General Arthur St. Claire, first governor of the Northwest Territories, and the man who gave Cincinnati its name.

The cornerstone was laid on March 25, 1841, the Feast of the Annunciation, with 10,000 people attending. With little money or resources, the parishioners did most of the construction themselves. The women baked bricks in their ovens, while the men felled and hewed whole trees to form the mammoth beams spanning the width of the church, requiring no supporting columns under the hand-painted canvas ceiling.

On July 4, 1842 the structure was dedicated. It was then the largest church in the valley, at 142 ft. by 65 ft., with a tower reaching 170 ft. The clock in the tower is the oldest in Cincinnati. Levi Coffin, who is credited with saving over three thousand slaves during the underground railway movement, cast the three church bells. The smallest bell, "Little Anne", was used for many years as a fire alarm for the northeastern section of the city. Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, St. Mary's Church is the oldest house of worship in Cincinnati, and contains many hand carved wooden statues, preserved paintings and Bavarian stained glass windows.

The parish continues to preserve the rich liturgical and cultural heritage of the Catholic tradition. Sunday Masses are celebrated in Latin, German and English.

Contact: Rogar Schneider
Email: Kaiserrogar@yahoo.com
Visit the Old St. Mary's website

Oldenburg Freudenfest

Freudenfest spiresThe Fruedenfest, meaning fun day, is a non profit organization that originated in 1976 with a group of volunteers who envisioned holding a family fun day.

The mission today is the same: To provide a high quality festival that celebrates the richness of our German Heritage through people having a fun day with their family and friends.

The annual reunion has fondly become known as "the biggest little German festival" in Indiana.

Visit the Freudenfest website

Over-the-Rhine Brewery District

OTRThe Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation is a non-profit organization committed to making the Over-the-Rhine Brewery District a healthy, balanced and supportive neighborhood economy by preserving, restoring and redeveloping our unique brewing history and historic urban fabric.

The OTR District notes: The BDCURC is a 501(c)3 non-profit, grass roots organization corporation. Our Board of Trustees is composed of people with an array of professional backgrounds: business owners, architects, attorneys, real estate agents, real estate developers, etc.

Our Members and Volunteers are a wide cross section of residents, students, professionals, and other great people. We carry out our mission through social programming, educational and advocacy activities, business partnering and strategic urban planning.

Contact: Steven Hampton, OTR Brewery District Executive Director, info@otrbrewerydistrict.org
Website: www.otrbrewerydistrict.org

Sons of the American Revolution

SAR badgeThe National Society of the Sons of the Revolution is a proud society of about 28,000 active male descendents of those patriots who, during the American revolution, rendered unwavering loyal service to the cause of winning our freedom from England. The National Society was founded on April 30,1889, andincorporated by an act of Congrss on June 9, 1996, as a non-profit, non-secret, and non-politcal organization.

Contact: Gerald Hounchell 513-793-1789
Visit the SAR website

Springfield Liedertafel

Springfield LiedertafelThe Springfield Liedertafel was organized and incorporated in 1888. The express purpose of the club was then, as now, to provide a social outlet for members and the continuance of German choral music.

Over the years, the function of the Liedertafel club has expanded, and the club's beautiful facility is available for rental for nearly any special event.

Thoroughbred Stein Verein

Thoroughbred Stein VereinThe Thoroughbred Stein Verein is made up of people from Southern Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. We meet four times a year on the second Saturday of March, May, August and November, to eat, drink and share our love of new and old drinking vessels, plates, vases and other memorabilia.

We offer stein appraisals, show and tell, sales and programs of varying interest.

All levels of interest and knowledge will find a friendly, supportive home with the Thoroughbred Stein Verein.

WILLKOMMEN

Contact: Ceorge Hibben 513-367-2150
Visit the TSV website

Tri-State German-American School

Tri-State German SchoolThe Tri-State German-American School is a genuine Cincinnati tradition, one of its best-kept secrets, a school offering a casual atmosphere for German-language learning.

We’ve been here since 1968 and draw students from a wide geographic area.

Our school welcomes the prospective student with no background in the language, one with substantial experience in German, the pre-school child, the learner of somewhat more senior age, and those with any possible reason for learning the German language.

We extend ein herzliches Willkommen (a hearty welcome) each Saturday (10:00 – 12:30), with a “Pause” from 11:00 to 11:30 for Kaffee und Kuchen.

Classes began Saturday, September 20, 2014 and extend to mid April 2015.

We rent classroom space at Notre Dame Academy, 1699 Hilton Dr, Park Hills, KY 41011; however, we are not affiliated with the school. We are a non-profit, non-discriminatory tax-exempt institution.

Verein Der Donauschwaben

The Cincinnati Donauschwaben Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of German language and culture. Founded in 1954 by Central Europeans (Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania) of German descent, the Cincinnati Verein der Donauschwaben takes special pride in preserving and sharing the German heritage of our ancestors.

The Cincinnati Donauschwaben is part of a large, worldwide organization dedicated to preserving the Donauschwaben culture. For more information about our parent organization, Donauschwaben USA, as well as links to our sister clubs and organizations around North America and the world, please visit www.donauschwaben-usa.org.

Visit the CDS website

The Wagner Society

Wagner Society logoThe Wagner Society of Cincinnati was founded on 13. June. 2010, on the occasion of the presentation "Wagner and his Music: Die Meistersinger Revealed" by Jim Slouffman, at the German Heritage Pioneer Museum.

"The Wagner Society of Cincinnati's Mission will be to promote the study of the music of Richard Wagner and foster a greater understanding and appreciation of his works."

This mission will be accomplished by promoting lectures, watching media presentations, and attending performances of Wagner music dramas. The Society will maintain a library of books on Wagner's works and make available to its members information pertaining to local, regional, national and international productions of Wagner's music dramas.

The Wagner Society of Cincinnati is financially self-sustained through dues, donations, and fund raising endeavors. The official uniform of the Society is the artist's black beret. The black beret will be worn at all meetings and gatherings of the Society as a matter of respect to the Master.

Future activities of the Wagner Society of Cincinnati are special presentations on Wagner's works, Wagner Musicales featuring live performances, viewing and listening to various Wagner related DVD and CD's, and group travel adventures to see Wagner productions around the area.

Interested persons can get membership information and a list of activities of the Society by contacting the Society's President, Jim Slouffman, at one of the sources listed below.

Ph: 513-871-8447
Website: http://wagnersocietycincinnati.org 
Email: jslouffman@hotmail.com

Jim Slouffman, President
Wagner Society of Cincinnati